The scripture texts for this session are: Isa. 61: 1-4, 8-11, Psalm 126, and Luke 1: 46-55.
Session 3 ~ For Further Reflection: “The Restoring Face of God”
1) Are you experiencing God’s restoring face turned toward you? If so, describe how this feels, using heart language.
2) When have you experienced God restoration within you? Describe the experience. Now describe how this feels, using heart language.
3) When have you witnessed God restoring your neighborhood, your community? Ponder the answer that arises. Talk with God about the answer.
4) Spend time reflecting on your answers. What is being revealed? Is there an invitation emerging?
5) Offer this prayer:
Restoring God, I bring to you my concerns
(offer prayers of concern):
My broken relationships need mending—
With neighbors across the street and around the world.
My body needs healing, and my mind needs restoring.
My town (city or country) needs fresh vision and new hope.
I long for all people to rebuild the ancient ruins,
to create communities of justice and peace.
Restoring God, I look to you as my architect, my master rebuilder.
Restoring God, I bring to you my joys
(offer prayers of praise):
My home can be filled with laughter and love.
My community can be repaired and thrive.
Wars can cease and peace can reign.
Although I have cried many tears—for myself, for my friends,
and for those I hear about in the news,
you promise to bring me home with shouts of joy. AMEN
(Adapted from Leader Magazine, Fall 2008, MennoMedia)
6) Conclude with this blessing:
As you go, praise God!
Open your life to God’s restoring Spirit
and scatter seeds of healing and hope.
God will restore you.
God’s face will shine on you, and you will be saved.